Monday, October 31, 2011

Judi Coltman

Raised in an affluent suburb of Detroit, Judi Coltman grew up in a female heavy household with an urban sense of "normal." Coltman attended Michigan State University, majoring in Journalism until a professor requested she switch majors - "Apparently making a story better with added features isn't acceptable in the news world," Coltman laments.
With a BA in English from Northern Illinois University, Coltman has written for local, regional and national publications.
Most recently, Coltman has been writing a weekly blog called, "My Life in a Nutshell," from where her book material was born. Often compared to Erma Bombeck, Coltman sees the humor in the absurdity of everyday life and then tells anyone who will listen.

Judi Coltman and her husband split their time between northern Illinois and the California desert. Sometimes they even pass each other at the airport.

What are your favorite humor books?
--My favorite humorist was Erma Bombeck. I grew up on her column, I developed my sense of humor through her. I would have to say, my favorite book is "If Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries, Then Why Am I In The Pits?"

How much of your humor is based on real life experiences?
--All of it, every single embarrassing moment was born of something I said, did or experienced.

Do you feel being digitally epublished allows you to be more creative with your writing choices?
--Absolutely. Oh, did you want me to elaborate?

If they made a movie out of one of your books, what actors would play the main characters?
--Well, since the main character is me *blushes* I think Julia Roberts would be a good fit. Others might believe Kathy Bates is better.

What should readers expect from a Judi Coltman book?
--Readers should expect to be entertained. I assume you mean any book. I think if a reader gets something out of a book that generates pleasure (whether that pleasure is a good laugh or a chilling fright) then there is success.

If people judged your books by their covers, what hijinks would they miss out on?
--They would miss out on the time I realized the cute guy I was admiring was a kid I had once car pooled to pre-school. They would miss my most stellar parenting moment when the puberty film was shown at school, teaching my dad about Facebook and what happened when I found a bag of pot on the street. Among other things!

What's the funniest part of your everyday life?
--I live in a small town. Our mayor is a full-time fire fighter, the elementary principal is his Asst. Principal's brother-in-law, my best friend's ex-husband is also her step-brother. I always tell people that while a great place to raise kids, it's like living in a bad tv sitcom.

If you weren't writing humorous books, what would you be doing for a living?
--I guess I'd be writing suspense/thriller novels - cuz, wait for it. . . I already did.

Why don't you think there's more humorous books out there?
--Good question. Perhaps people don't trust their sense of funny. Or perhaps they don't stop to find the humor in their everyday lives. Or perhaps, they would just rather wait for someone else to do the writing.

What's next for your fans?
--I just released my suspense/thriller, In The Name Of The Father but am working on another Humor book, Complex Living, based on the year I spent managing an apartment complex. There are stories and characters there that could fill several volumes! I'm telling you, you can't make that kind of stuff up!


Is It Just Me, Or Is Everyone A Little Nuts?
Amazon
Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment